Affiliates & Partners
Join the NOFAS Affiliate Network!
NOFAS is currently seeking organizations to join its growing Affiliate Network. The goal of the NOFAS Affiliate Network is to unite FASD organizations in an international coalition for the purpose of preventing FASD and meeting the needs of people living with the disorder, while each member organization maintains its independence and identity. The NOFAS Affiliate Network was established in 2002 to open permanent lines of communication among FASD colleagues and organizations, share resources, unify core values and messages, and turn up the volume on the appeal for attention and resources. Today, the network consists of 35 member organizations.
NOFAS Affiliate Network
Minnesota Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
CALFAS and FASD Connection (California)
- Share information and resources
- Build the capacity of the FASD constituency and increase advocacy
- Set common goals and messages
- Seek consensus on issues within the FASD arena
- Collaborate on a range of public health and advocacy programs and services
- Leverage resources
NOFAS and each affiliate organization respects:
- The identity, culture, policies, and traditions of each affiliated organization
- The image, reputation, and public standing of each affiliated organization
- FASD birth mothers and individuals with FASD and their families/caregivers, and strives to overcome the stigma and boundaries associated with the disorder
Benefits to Affiliates
- Free and discounted materials
- Free or discounted attendance to NOFAS events and activities, including conferences, benefits, and briefings
- Technical assistance, consisting of both strategic advice and sample materials on topics such as developing a logic model (goal, objectives, outcomes), incorporation and securing non-profit status, grassroots advocacy, fundraising and proposal development, public awareness strategies, materials and website development, nonprofit governance and administration, etc.
- Trip to the annual affiliate summit
- Free monthly program conference call
- Access to the Foundation Center online
- Micro-grant opportunities
- Promotion of your organization and programs
- Members-only website, featuring affiliate materials
- Enhanced visibility
Any incorporated 501 (c)(3) non-profit entity with a focus on FASD or other compatible mission may apply. American Indian and Alaska Native Tribes and University programs are also eligible to apply.
If interested in joining the NOFAS Affiliate Network, please download the guidelines and application below and contact Tom Donaldson, (202) 785-4585 ext. 100.
- NOFAS hosts an affiliate conference call on the second Wednesday of each month at 2:00 P.M. EST.
- The 2012 NOFAS Affiliate Summit was held June 20-23.
Affiliate Network Agenda
Current priorities involve supporting the inclusion of FASD in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders (DSM-5), which is scheduled to be published by the American Psychiatric Association in 2013. Although identifying FAS and other conditions under the FASD umbrella is primarily a medical diagnosis, long-established research confirms that mental health and treatable behavioral disorders are common among individuals with FAS. The DSM-5 Task Force has proposed including the heading “Neurobehavioral Disorder Associated with Prenatal Alcohol Exposure” in Section III of DSM-5 with other conditions that require further research. Inclusion could lead to standardized diagnosis, treatment, and reimbursement for practitioners serving the needs of persons with FASD, while maintaining the primary diagnosis as a medical condition.
Newly established committees are now formulating 2013 affiliate initiatives.
Affiliate Conference Calls
May 9, 2012
April 11, 2012
March 14, 2012
February 8, 2012
January 11, 2012
December 14, 2011
November 9, 2011
October 12, 2011
September 14, 2011
August 10, 2011
July 13, 2011